Service and Oversight Resources

If you are seeking services, first contact your Center for Independent Living. CILs are advocacy organizations run by and for people with disabilities. They provide five “core” services:

  • Peer Support
  • Independent Living Skills Training
  • Information and Referral
  • Individual and Systems Advocacy
  • Transition to Community Life

Most CILs provide many other services, which you can find on their individual websites:

If you’re not sure which CIL serves your county, contact your Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC).

NCIL is an association of Centers for Independent Living (CILs), Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs), and individual Independent Living advocates. NCIL has no oversight authority.

If you wish to file a complaint about an Independent Living organization, there are two options:

1. Contact your state’s Client Assistance Program

2. Contact the Administration for Community Living (ACL) at 202.401.4634 or view the ACL Office of Independent Living (OILP) Contact List.